Go

Our History

Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste. - Isaiah 28:16

In 1942, Reverend T.K. Davis, Mr. and Mrs. Rufus Malcolm, Reverend Hardy and Sister Ethel Cumby, covered with the full armor of God, found their way to 3353 South Indiana Avenue on Chicago's south side. In the upper room of the Steward Foundation Funeral Parlor, Triedstone Missionary Baptist Church was formed with Isaiah 28:16 as our foundational scripture. Under the watchful eye of the Lord, Triedstone was to change locations three more times during the next 59 years as it continued to move forward in service, membership, and leadership for Christ.

Our first home was provided for its members at 3457 South Michigan Avenue and Reverend Davis ministered to the Triedstone body at that location, increasing the membership until his death in 1947. Proceeding Reverend Davis in succession order, our pastoral leadership has included: Pastor William Dockery, Pastor Princeton A. Cantrell, Reverend Albert Spells, Reverend James Walter Siler, Pastor Larry Trask, Pastor Terry Baker and Pastor Charlie Hatter.

In 1989, Triedstone was blessed to have come to them, Reverend Simon Gordon. Today, Bishop Gordon carries on God's Vision for Triedstone, and is committed to making it a reality. His leadership challenges our understanding of the Word, enables us to clarify our direction and continually asks the church to demonstrate its stewardship. Between 1989 and 1998, Triedstone has witnessed and experienced tremendous spiritual, numerical, and financial growth under Bishop Gordon's direction. To begin to propel Triedstone toward the Vision, in 1991, a $25,000 loan was taken out and used to restructure the "original" sanctuary.

Funding went towards immediate changes in the outward appearance of Triedstone to draw in the community. These included adding new pews, pulpit furniture, and purchasing a new illuminated sign to mark the church for our community to see and notice our imminent presence. In record time, this "improvement" debt was paid off in full.

To further our spiritual growth and increase our Christian relationships, Triedstone joined the International Full Gospel Church Fellowship International (FGCFI). In 1994, Bishop Gordon was appointed to the position of State Overseer for Illinois. And to date, he continues to serve in this capacity.

As Triedstone's Shepherd, Bishop Gordon's influence and desire to develop others can be seen through their ministerial accomplishments and growth. With the continuous emphasis and focus on our vision, the milestone achievements continue to manifest. A few key accomplishments include having completed our new church edifice in December, 1998 and our sanctuary was dedicated to the Lord in April, 1999.

As in the early days of Triedstone's inception, our founding principles continue to promote Christian Education, Prayer and Evangelism with an emphasis on community service through providing tangible resources that empower others. “Quality People doing Quality Ministry” is evident in our Harvest for the World Food Pantry, low to no cost resources available through our Health Ministry, Summer Day Camp and Youth Program and the various other social services administered by Total Resource Community Development Organization (TRCDO) and other government entities.

Over the past 75 years, we have continued to advance in service and leadership for Christ as a forerunner in the faith based and social welfare communities. Why? In order to “Change the World”for the Kingdom of God!

To learn more about Bishop Gordon Click Here and you can also view our Weekly Newsletter for current ministry updates and activities.

Join us in Celebrating our 75th Year Anniversary 

Thursday, October 12, - Friday, October 13, 2017 at 7:00 PM

and

Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 9:00 AM, 12 PM & 4:00 PM 

Return to top